Wednesday 3 October 2012

Using Tablets as learning tools





Do you think they are engaged in learning or they are having fun showing off their own devices?


 I found this photo online  and it had me laughing.  The classroom looks so chaotic.  I certainly would not want my classroom to look like this with all the tablets. I wonder how the teacher keeps the students on task?  Is there competition in the classroom about who has the latest model, the best apps, the most expensive among other things? Did the school supply the students with tablets?



I am in full support of using tablets in the classroom but I must ask  myself if the students get a chance, will they use them for classroom learning tasks?  They are will use them for social networking, games and other forms of entertainment if there is not a serious effort made to incorporate them in the learning process.  We also must ensure that devices are available for the students who cannot afford to purchase them.  Perhaps apps must be installed to track their unauthorized movements and use if they do not belong to the students.  The need for this will be eliminated if students have their own devices.   These devices must be integrated into classroom instruction. I am now realizing that tablets can limit the face to face interaction which is a part of the classroom process.  Students can actually become 'isolated' as they lock themselves off with their devices.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was in that class or even the teacher. Well just like any kid who sees a camera all smiles. Perhaps the devices would be connected to a network therefore the teacher can monitor what they are doing. If I can recall, a teacher at a particular school did that some years ago. The kids were frighten when a message popped up on their screens saying "please stop playing this game and do your work".

    Perhaps to depending on how a teacher manages his or her class, their wont be any need for such isolation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the teacher's role is going to be critical. The temptation to use those fingers to manipulate the tablets will be great so the isolation will have to be considered. It is certainly it is a "smile, you are on candid camera" moment. They are having fun showing off their devices.

    ReplyDelete